Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Posts

For my own purposes (as well as others) here are the comments I've made on other blogs!

On Natalie’s: The Squirt and the Whale

This episode definitely did have a green theme to it - it was just in time for Earth Day! I've found that the show has improved on their method of commenting on our society - they have been using events that are either happening (the Olympics) or are about to happen (Earth Day).

Do you think that this episode actually impacted people enough to notice what time of year it was? I do think so, especially with the "every animal is worth saving" bit. I think that people will realize exactly what we do to our oceans and what we are doing to the world.

Do you think that Bluella was a symbol for anything else? I feel that she was, but I just can't put my finger on it. I want to say something about a phase of culture that has just passed...I also think that the baby whales might be symbols for this nation's youth and how (tied into the green theme) they might just be sitting ducks for the condition the world is in when it's their turn to be adults.

Great review Natalie! :D

On Kevin’s: Treehouse of Horror VII

I really like how you divided this up into the parts of the show. It makes it so much easier to comment on! xD

I have always thought that the first part is just a play on “everyone has their bad side.” Given, Bart is the worst out of everyone, so it had to be his character to get it. Society always wants people to lock up their bad sides, which is exactly what the Simpsons do for Bart…*cough* Hugo.

The tooth people have always been really strange to me. I can never figure out exactly who Groening is trying to comment on with them, or even if he is at all. What do you think?

The Bob Dole impersonation line with the abortions and mini flags made me laugh really hard. I completely forgot about that part – and it’s so dead on! (What makes it even better for me is that a Kodo in World of Warcraft is a really dumb rhino-like creature. Homer would vote for a Kodo. :D)

On Lisa’s: American History X-Cellent

This episode lagged more than a bit...it lagged a ton. But it did show another side to Smithers and Burns and the show's view on business folk. I think it showed that it isn't the people who are bad, it's the business that does it to them. After Burns sees (excuse the pun) the light, he knows that it was his position that made him the way he was. Smithers, on the other hand, was just getting into it and would do anything it took to advance his position.

It seems that everyone really enjoyed the sibling interaction and relationship. I have to admit that there are a lot of episodes that focus on that bond, but this is a good example.

On Renn’s: Thursdays With Abie

"Not only are they struggling with aging and adjusting...but as a society we push them off into nursing homes...we end the value of their lives before they even go." Wow, Renn. I really like what you got from this episode. I wish I could say that I took that away, but your analysis helped me see that. And now that I'm thinking about it, I think you're completely right.

That got me thinking that if the man had succeeded in killing Grandpa, it would just be so symbolic of all our elderly that never does get heard out and whose stories never get the attention they deserve. Jeez, now I'm kinda sad. But you have an excellent point! Great analysis, Renn!

On Stephanie’s: Lisa the Vegetarian

Have you ever noticed that Lisa is always the one making the 'green' or 'different' choices? She it the only one in the Simpsons family that would be able to pull off being a vegetarian. She is also the only one that would be able to withstand the teasing and still hold true to what she wants. (Makes me think of Marge telling her that "you're a woman, you can hold onto it for the rest of your life" from the Simpsons Movie!)

Since you are a vegetarian, do you think this episode helped raise any eyebrows or change any eating habits? I definitely understand where the principles come from, but unfortunately I just have to eat my mom's cooking.

Oh, and I think Paul's appearance was just epic!

On Freddy’s: Postcards from the Wedge

I think that Marge and Homer always have different views on parenting because they are the tools through which parenting customs are displayed for the show. If they always agreed on everything there would be no plot advancement or any comical jokes toward the other!

I agree with you when you say that mixed signals are bad for not just a young boy, but anyone. I really don't know of anything useful that's come out of mixed signals. Talking with each other tends to clear up the confusion though, good job pointing that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment